8th & Main Apartments (The Blonde)

Building Architecture- Large Scale (>10,000 sf)

Project Narrative

Eighth & Main (now named The Blonde) is a 13-story high-rise apartment building in the heart of Cincinnati’s Main Street Historic District and adjacent to a streetcar stop. Owing to the rather uncharacteristically wide site for the historic district, the design of both form and articulation was required to respond to an extensive series of guidelines and approvals stressing verticality, scale, rhythm, balance, and proportion. The development goal was to design a building that would appeal to a younger demographic with smaller, more economical unit types. To align with the project proforma requiring 125 apartment units, 40% are either micro units at 395 sq. ft. or studios at 525 sq. ft. The remaining 60% of the unit types are one-bedrooms and split double primary bedroom units, suitable for shared rental. Amenities at the first floor include a lobby, micro market, bike repair stations, dog washing station, fitness center, community space, and parcel lockers including cold storage for food delivery. The thirteenth floor includes an outdoor terrace with grills, fire pits, and views of downtown and the surrounding hills. The project was completed for a construction cost of $160 per square foot.

                 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Project Details

Submission Category

Building Architecture- Large Scale (>10,000 sf)

Date of Completion

August, 2020